FOXBORO, Mass.à‚–(BUSINESS WIRE)à‚–March 9, 2001à‚–Following an intensive evaluation process, Middle Egypt Electrical Company (M.E.E.C.) has selected The Foxboro Company, a unit of Invensys Process Automation, to supply and install the Distribution Management System (DMS) and associated Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system for the Minea-Assuit DMS Project. This important modernization project for Egypt’s Minea and Assuit region will provide M.E.E.C. customers with a secure, reliable, and cost-effective power distribution system.
The Foxboro DMS and SCADA systems will work together to provide automatic control of power distribution throughout the region. The systems will enable operators, located at a central control station, to monitor critical information in real-time and deliver it, as needed, to service crews, customers, planners, managers and executives. The key anticipated benefits include:
* Lower operating and maintenance costs – achieved by improved utilization of existing assets
* Improved security and efficiency – achieved by maintaining a real-time view of the power grid, thereby limiting violations and network outages
* Reduced operational downtime – by providing real-time information to the operators
* Improved response time – minimized severity of outages with improved fault detection
* Improved customer information – access to more timely and accurate data so that customers can be advised when and how power will be restored.
In-country support for this SCADA/DMS project will be provided by the newly formed Foxboro Egypt organization, based in Cairo, with additional support provided by Foxboro’s centers of excellence for SCADA in both Rome, Italy and Sydney, Australia.
The Middle Egypt Electrical Company, headquarted in Minea, Egypt, is one of seven regional electric companies in Egypt under the overall control of the Egyptian Electrical Holding Company.
The Foxboro Company (www.foxboro.com) is a leading global supplier of instruments, systems, software, and services for industrial process automation. Foxboro’s automation solutions provide measurable performance improvements, guaranteed, with no capital investment required. Foxboro is a unit of Invensys Process Automation, part of the U.S.-based Software Systems division of Invensys plc (www.invensys.com) of London, England.