Southern Co. buys majority of CEPA

Consolidated Electric Power Asia (CEPA), the largest independent power producer in Asia, is now part of Southern Co., a large US generation firm.

Southern has acquired an 80 percent interest in CEPA from CEPA shareholders. The remaining 20 percent will be held by Hopewell Holdings Ltd., which previously held about 60 percent of CEPA?s shares.

Hong Kong-based CEPA builds, owns and operates electric power generating plants in China and the Philippines, with projects under development in Indonesia, Pakistan and India. It operates 3,995 MW of power generation capacity, with another 3,840 MW under construction.