Cummins, Komatsu venture for QST30 engines

Cummins Engine Company Inc. and Komatsu Ltd. have started production on a 30-liter diesel engine, called the QST30 in a joint-venture plant in Seymour, Ind., USA. A second part of the joint venture, under the heading Komatsu Cummins Engine Co. is responsible for producing the Cummins B Series diesel in Oyama, Japan.

Based on a Komatsu design, the QST30 is the second engine in the Cummins Quantum series–a new generation of high-horsepower products for industrial markets. Approximately 80 percent of the engines are expected to be dedicated to power generation applications with the remaining 20 percent to be installed in construction and mining equipment.