HomeWorld RegionsLatin AmericaChina to finance Bolivia's first wind farm

China to finance Bolivia’s first wind farm

Sinomach, a state-owned company in China, plans to build the first wind farm in Bolivia in the southern region of Tarinja, reports the Associated Press, citing Tarija’s deputy governor, Roberto Ruiz.

The feasibility studies for the wind project will be completed in the first half of next year, with work beginning at the end of next year and completed by 2014.

The 21 MW project, which will comprise 14 wind turbines of 1.5 MW each and located 650 km south of La Paz, is expected to require an investment of $28m. The Chinese government will finance 85 per cent with the Tarija government providing the remaining 15 per cent.

Bolivia’s Tarinja region is rich in hydrocarbons, and the state government is keen to explore ways of saving as much of its natural gas for export, to generate much-needed income that can then be used to fund clean energy projects,” Ruiz told the Associated Press.

For more Wind Power news.