The chief executive of E.ON says the German utility is not opposed to the possibility of a public foundation being formed for the purposes of funding the decommissioning of the country’s nuclear power plants.

“If the government came to this conclusion tomorrow … we wouldn’t refuse to enter such a discussion,” E.ON’s Johannes Teyssen told Der Spiegel in an interview published on Sunday. “But so far we haven’t received an invitation.”

Discussions have been taking place on the subject of a ‘bad bank’ for nuclear decommissioning since Q1 of this year.

The German government has set a 2022 deadline for decommissioning of all the country’s nuclear power plants and its four nuclear operators in Germany — E.ON, RWE, EnBW and Sweden’s Vattenfall — have made provisions of about 36 billion euros ($44bn) for plant decommissioning and disposal of nuclear waste.