Duke Energy is in talks with Santee Cooper over buying an interest in proposed nuclear units at the V.C. Summer station in South Carolina, according to a filing made by regulatory staff and reported by the Charlotte Business Journal.

The filing reportedly said Duke expressed an interest in buying into the $9.1 billion project that would consist of two, 1,117 MW units in South Carolina. Santee Cooper said it would like to sell a portion of its 45 percent interest in the project. Scana Corp. owns the remaining 55 percent.

The Public Staff of the North Carolina Utilities Commission said in its Feb. 28 filing that Duke acknowledged it has “been in communication with Santee.”

Duke also asked the staff for permission to spend $287 million more on planning for its 2,234 MW Lee Nuclear Station. The article said Duke has already spent about $172 million on planning for the plant.

Subscribe to Nuclear Power International magazine