HomeDecentralized EnergyCogeneration CHPVeolia to operate wastewater treatment plant with biogas cogen

Veolia to operate wastewater treatment plant with biogas cogen

Veolia has won a contract to operate a French wastewater treatment plant that runs on biogas-fired cogeneration.

Under the five-year, €40m contract, Veolia subsidiary OTV Exploitation will operate the city of Lille’s Ovilléo plant, which came online in 2015. The plant has a treatment capacity of 620,000 population equivalent and is the largest new-generation wastewater treatment plant in northern France.

Ovilléo produces biogas from sludge and features three digesters and two thermal hydrolysis treatment systems which boost biogas production.

The biogas produced by the plant covers around 94 per cent of its heat needs through an on-site cogeneration plant, with the remaining 6 per cent supplied by natural gas.

The cogeneration plant produces power equivalent to the annual demand from 800 households.

Frédéric Van Heems, water CEO for Veolia in France, called the plant “truly a 21st-century plant” and “an extraordinary concentration of environmental and technological innovation”.à‚ à‚ 

LATEST FEATURE