1 July 2010 – The International District Energy Association (IDEA) has presented its System of the Year Award to District Energy St Paul during the its annual conference in Indianapolis, Indiana, US. The award recognizes exemplary system performance and service.
District Energy St. Paul is only the second system to win the award twice, having also won in 1993.
The panel based the selection on achievements including:
- The system serves twice the square footage of buildings today with the same amount of energy input as when the system began operation in 1983
- After adjusting for inflation, District Energy St Paul’s customers pay less for heating service today than they did 27 years ago
- In 2009, the system’s fuel efficiency was 85.9%
- The system’s service reliability has exceeded 99.997% since starting up in 1983
- The system’s primary source of renewable thermal energy is from the downtown CHP plant, which used biomass for more than 70% of its fuel input in 2009.