RWE is taking a consortium to court over delays associated with the Grevenbroich-Neurath lignite coal-fired power plant in northwest Germany.
Three workers died during the development of the plant in October 2007, when scaffolding collapsed. The incident resulted in a two year delay in the construction and the utility is now seeking EUR1.3bn ($1.41bn) in compensation for what is referred to as culpable breach of duty”, according to the Moenchengladbach regional court. The plant eventually started operations in August 2012.
The court spokesman said the consortium included Japan’s Hitachi, German subsidiary Hitachi Power Europe and Alstom Power Systems, which now belongs to General Electric.
Reuters reports that a hearing is scheduled for Feb. 26, he said, adding that a settlement had not been reached so far, despite intense efforts.
A spokesperson for RWE confirmed to Power Engineering International that the action is being taken but added that it does not comment on-going proceedings in detail.
A spokesman for Hitachi in Germany declined to comment on the claims by RWE but said the consortium itself was claiming EUR290m from RWE as a result of the construction delay.
The plant serves mainly as a base load power station and consists of seven units (3 x 300à‚ MW, 2 x 600à‚ MW, and 2 x 1,100à‚ MW).
[bc_video account_id=”” player_id=”” video_id=””]