A $44m biomass cogeneration power plant has been inaugurated in Germany.
The GBE Gocher Bioenergie plant, a joint venture between RWE Innogy (FWB: RWE) and Goch municipal utility will be fuelled by landscaping wood and supply the Nahr-Engel food production facility.
The plant is designed for a capacity of 7.6 MW electric and 28 MW thermal and will supply Nähr-Engel with up to 130,000 tonnes of process heat per year.
In addition surplus will go to generating electricity for up to 11,000 residential households in the area.
Frank Mattat, Head of Biomass Germany of RWE Innogy said: “The biomass-fuelled cogeneration plant has been tailored to both the specific energy requirements of the company Nähr-Engel and the special local conditions of the former Hendick site. The plant is a successful example of decentralised combined heat and power production and stands for climate protection and energy efficiency.”
RWE Innogy holds 80 per cent of the shares in GBE and the remaining 20 per cent are held by PBG GmbH-Projektgesellschaft Biomassefeuerung Goch, a company in which Nahr-Engel and the Goch municipal utilities each hold 50 per cent of the shares.
For more biomass CHP news